Wednesday, July 20, 2011

Why I love Farmer's Markets, and a Promise To Myself.

I completely adore Farmer's Markets. I will stop through one whenever I pass, regardless of if I need to purchase vegetables or not. Although I think it may be attributable to being a farmer in a past life, there are quite a few other reasons. Here's a few.

For starters, I love the smell of fresh produce. The fact that you can reach out and touch whatever is in front of you and not feel the waxy texture that store-bought vegetables sometimes take on is amazing as well. The products in front of you will sometimes still have a slight bit of dirt on them--letting you know that what your buying is fresh. Which makes everything you make with your purchases taste that much better, even if it's something as simple as a salad. (Who am I kidding? Fresh vegetables taste their absolute BEST in a salad.) Often, you are paying less for a tastier end result. There's a certain amount of possibility as well, in seeing a vegetable you have never seen before, and instantly wanting to figure out how to use them.

I also love the fact that I know exactly where my money is going. Almost all of the vendors are local, and it feels good to ensure that the money is staying in the area. This all has an environmental benefit as well--regardless of organic or not you are already being greener in visiting a farmers market because of the sheer fact that your food had to travel much less of a distance to get to you.
All of these reasons to love Farmer's Markets are solid enough to stop this list here--but my favorite thing hasn't even been mentioned here. It's the atmosphere. The fresh air, perfumed with whatever the vendor nearest is selling. The people, feeling much happier and relaxed than they would be in a traditional grocery store. Come to think of it, I can't remember ever having an experience where I ran into someone who was in a bad mood whilst at a Farmer's Market. And the vendors, who are so much more knowledgeable about what they are selling than your typical store employee. They are also willing to talk to you just for the sake of conversation--even if you are obviously not purchasing anything from them.
Yes. I love Farmer's Markets. And I'm not ashamed to admit it. =)
Now for the promises. I have neglected this blog, and my photography--and to the end of correcting that, I will post with pictures at least once a week from now on. I also will try to review at least one recipe from my most recent purchase, Mark Bittman's How to Cook Everything Vegetarian, at least every couple of weeks. (This way I will actually make stuff out of it, rather than just salivating over the recipes. =] )

I think that's all for now... Happy eating!

2 comments: